[asterisk-users] Multiple Meet me conferences

Tony Mountifield tony at softins.clara.co.uk
Fri Sep 28 09:03:01 CDT 2007

In article <769355BDA38F3644A6506964F2DC75F3973031 at img-cum-e001090.forces.mil.ca>,
 <Kutman.DK at forces.gc.ca> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if it is possible within Asterisk to be in many meetme conferences at the
> same time.  This would be sort of broadcasting over all the conferences at once.

Yes, it is possible, but is a bit fiddly to set up.

A channel can only be in one conference at a time. However, it is
possible to connect two conferences together by using a Local channel.
You have one context/extension in the dialplan that joins one of the
conferences, and another context/extension that joins the other
conference. You originate a call (using the Manager API or a call file)
to a Local channel for one of the extensions, with the answered call
going to the other extension. Audio will then pass in both directions
between the conferences (this can be modified by the use of the 'm' and
't' options (monitor-only and talker-only)).

Armed with this information, you can have a "fan-out" conference that you
speak into, and you then make calls in the way described above to connect
the fan-out conference to each of the target conferences.

Disclaimer: I have joined two conferences together using Local, but have
not tried the above scenario.

Cheers
Tony
--