[asterisk-users] Cisco 7940G licensing with asterisk

Cory Andrews cory at voipsupply.com
Thu Sep 27 11:48:00 CDT 2007

You need to purchase a Smartnet license for your phone, and have it registered by a Cisco authorized reseller.

The Smartnet registration will run you $10-$20 per phone, depending upon the reseller.  The registration process typically takes around 24-48 hours to process.

Once registered, you will receive an email from Cisco with instruction on obtaining a Cisco TAC login.  Once you have your login, you will be able to access and download the SIP firmware.

If you look around on Google or on the Cisco website, there is a lot of documentation out there that describes the process for migrating the firmware.

I agree, it is a lot of work.  I do not see Cisco shipping phones with SIP firmware on them anytime soon, as obviously their vested interest is in their CCM and CCME platforms, and their native Skinny protocol.

They are being dragged reluctantly into SIP and platforms such as Asterisk present a threat....they are not going to tailor their tools and channel practices toward folks using a non Cisco platform.

Cory J Andrews