[asterisk-users] Which Asterisk version to use?

Eric B. ebenze at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 27 10:48:47 CDT 2007

Hi,

I'm a complete newbie to Asterisk and have been reading through
documentation and sites for the last couple of hours trying to understand
what to do to start my learning curve with Asterisk, and am very confused.

For starters, what is the difference btwn the 1.2 and 1.4 branches of
Asterisk?  I can't seem to find a document that describes the changes.

Secondly, what is the best way to start off with Asterisk?  Should I install
a Linux distro from scratch and then install Asterisk on top of that, start
with AsteriskNOW and go from there, or start with Tribox?  What advantage do
I get installing Linux/Asterisk vs. installing AsteriskNow or Tribox and
starting my learning curve from there?  It would seem as the most reasonable
to start with a prepackaged "appliance" installation - no?

Can someone please explain the difference between AsteriskNow and Tribox?
They seem to be filling the same need - a one-step easy installation of
Asterisk on a brand new PC.  Am I missing something?  Both have GUIs, but
TriBox seems to be more complete with more features.  Is this not correct?

Thanks so much for any information to help set me on the right path.  As you
can see, I am extermely confused and lost in the maze of Asterisk docs and
struggling to find a little headway here.

Eric