[asterisk-users] Grandstream GXP2020 / 2000

Chris Bagnall lists at minotaur.cc
Tue Sep 25 17:08:48 CDT 2007

> Has somebody experiences with the Grandstream GXP2020 / 2000 phones in a
> business graded installation

I'm afraid I can't give you as positive feedback as you've had from other posters. I did quite a few installations with GXP2000s about 18 months ago, and they've caused us nothing but problems.

Firmware started off as truly abysmal - half the features that the phones were sold as "supporting" didn't exist, and it wasn't until the more recent firmware that they were added. In the early firmware the speakerphone was practically unusable. In later versions they sorted out the echo problem by making it quieter, so it was still unusable in anything apart from a quiet single office.

There was also an issue where 2 versions of the hardware were out there and a firmware update managed to kill the LCD display on a whole raft of phones. We upgraded the 3 offices left that hadn't replaced them with something else in one go. 2 of them worked fine, I had calls the following day from the third office saying none of their phones had any display. They've mostly fixed it in very recent releases, but I still have the odd one or two phones out there where the display just vanishes from time to time for no reason.

Ignoring the firmware trials and tribulations for a moment, one fact still remains: the handset feels cheap and tacky, and compared to the Linksys SPA942 call quality is noticeably inferior (even LAN-LAN using g711). Here in the UK, the SPA942 is only about 10GBP more than the GXP2000 which makes it a much better choice.

2 of the 3 offices which had GXP2000s have replaced them with SPA942s over the last 6 months. The final one will be replacing the GXPs in a few weeks when they move office. It'll be like a support weight lifted off my back when we finally get rid of them all.

[if anyone in the UK wants some second-hand GXP2000s I have quite a few, about 18 months old, in good condition :-) ]

Regards,

Chris
For full contact details visit http://www.minotaur.it