[asterisk-users] ExternNotify Voicemail

Forrest Beck jonforrest.beck at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 09:31:00 CDT 2007

Nevermind,  I found the answer on the wiki:

Want to run an external program whenever a caller leaves a voice mail
message for a user? This is where the externnotify command comes in
handy. Externnotify takes a string value which is the command line
you want to execute when the caller finishes leaving a message.
Note: see an example of an external notification script here.
Note: This command will also run after a person who has logged into a
mailbox exits the VoiceMailMain() application.

The way it works is basically any time that somebody leaves a
voicemail on the system (regardless of mailbox number), the command
specified for externnotify is run with the arguments (in this order):
context, extension, and number of voicemails in that mailbox. These
arguments are passed to the program that you set in the externnotify
variable.

But, it would be nice to have one of the arguments be what event
triggered the script.  Like if it was a message was left, or some
logged out of VoicemailAdmin

Forrest Beck
jonforrest.beck at gmail.com
www.shift8.biz