[asterisk-users] Anyone use the Linksys phones?

Chris Bagnall lists at minotaur.cc
Mon Sep 24 05:14:41 CDT 2007

> Is anyone out there using any of the newer linksys phones since Cisco
> took over? I am more specifically looking at the spa-941 & 942's. Just
> curious about call quality, programability, and functionality with asterisk.

We've used the SPA-942s in most of our recent installs and been very impressed with them. The 941 lacks PoE and most importantly, has no backlight. I've found the bright, clear, backlit screen really makes a difference when it comes to users' first impressions. They also like the more "upright" nature of it compared to other IP phones - requires substantially less desk space than the Snom 360/370 or Aastra 55i/57i, for example.

Firmware is improving fairly rapidly and is well worth updating before deployment. Remote provisioning documentation is somewhat scarce and does seem to involve a fair bit of trial and error, but once you get it working, it seems to work fairly well.

I've replaced the Cisco 7960 on my desk with the colour SPA-962. It's about half the buy price of the Cisco, takes less desk space, has more features, and a vastly superior screen.

Regards,

Chris
For full contact details visit http://www.minotaur.it