[asterisk-users] Polycom 501 Phones Rebooting

Darren Nickerson darren.nickerson at telephonydepot.com
Fri Sep 21 16:59:34 CDT 2007

"Gregory Boehnlein" <damin at nacs.net> wrote:

> Hello,
> At one of our locations, we have started to see Polycom 501s
> (running 1.6.7 firmware) randomly reboot. We have taken packet traces of
> the
> phones to determine if there is something odd in the Layer 2 or 3 of the
> network that might cause it, and have not seen anything strange. There are
> no errors on the ports. This appears to be affecting POE powered as well
> as
> AC powered phones. The Polycom Logs for the phones don't seem to provide
> any
> clarity.
>
> Where should I troubleshoot this next?

You've probably already done all of this, but just in case ....

In the SIP.CFG file set the values from "4" to "2" for the following
applications' logging levels:

1. log.level.change.so
2. log.level.change.sip

Remove all logs from your provisioning server. Then reboot the phone that
you're testing with so that it takes the new logging levels. Save the log
files generated from the clean boot for information, and for comparison
purposes.

Wait for the phone to experience the problem and reboot. It will write
diagnostic information about the crash to the provisioning server. Capture
and move those logs (if you're using TFTP logs keep getting overwritten)

Finally, press and hold all 4 arrow keys until the phone bleeps, then
capture the log files dumped to your provisioning server one last time.

If the problem's not obvious from reading the logs, escalate these logs to
your Polycom reseller and ask them to open a ticket with Polycom on your
behalf. Of course they might recommend upgrading to 2.x .... ;-)

-Darren

--
Darren Nickerson
Senior Sales & Support Engineer