[asterisk-users] OT: Samsung Sprint CDMAoIP

Eric Chamberlain eric at voxilla.com
Thu Sep 20 12:04:38 CDT 2007

The device is a femtocell device; I would bet that they keep it in a format that works with their existing equipment, rather than use SIP.

The device is also licensed for a specific frequency that is owned by the carrier, you wouldn't be able to use this device for any other purpose without their permission.

The cell carriers are trying to get people excited about femotcell technology, so they can shift the cellular infrastructure costs off onto their customers.  The traditional model is that the cell providers pay property and tower owners rent when they site an antenna.

The cell providers don't even offer you a cheaper rate when you use the infrastructure you paid for.  Notice how the device supports up to three simultaneous calls?  You're even paying them to provide a better signal for your neighbors.

--
Eric Chamberlain, CISSP
Chief Technical Officer