[asterisk-users] asterisk crash and core dump: format_mp3.so

Vieri rentorbuy at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 20 03:34:44 CDT 2007

Hi,

My Asterisk server process irregularly segfaults, ie.
it usually works fine (is stable) when there's low
traffic but repeatedly crashes during morning hours
when there are more calls.

I gdb'ed the core dump files and found that the
culprit may be format_mp3. So I disabled MOH today and
will see if that's the cause.
I know that mp3 files are known to cause * crashes but
what I don't understand is why it doesn't *always*
crash (ie. why doesn't it crash even when there's low
traffic? I mean, if the offending code is in the mp3
format then it should *always* crash, right?).

I'm pasting the bt below to see if someone has any
suggestions on this ML. I'd rather wait a little
before bothering the devel list...

Core was generated by `/usr/sbin/asterisk -f -U
asterisk -G asterisk -vvvg'.
#0  0xb7b41954 in ?? () from
/usr/lib/asterisk/modules/format_mp3.so

(gdb) bt
#0  0xb7b41954 in ?? () from
/usr/lib/asterisk/modules/format_mp3.so
#1  0xb7ea6ff4 in ?? () from /lib/libc.so.6
#2  0xb7ea8120 in ?? () from /lib/libc.so.6
#3  0x0000001a in ?? ()
#4  0x00000000 in ?? ()

(gdb) bt full
#0  0xb7b41954 in ?? () from
/usr/lib/asterisk/modules/format_mp3.so
No symbol table info available.
#1  0xb7ea6ff4 in ?? () from /lib/libc.so.6
No symbol table info available.
#2  0xb7ea8120 in ?? () from /lib/libc.so.6
No symbol table info available.
#3  0x0000001a in ?? ()
No symbol table info available.
#4  0x00000000 in ?? ()
No symbol table info available.
(gdb)

(gdb) thread apply all bt
... not posting because too long here ...

Thanks,

Vieri