[asterisk-users] what is softswitch

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Wed Sep 19 12:04:07 CDT 2007

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007, Anthony Francis wrote:

> IMHO asterisk is a softswitch, it may not be a very high capacity one
> (right now) but it can be and if you don't mind splitting your physical
> trunk calls over multiple machines it works very well as a call routing
> engine, you just need to have carefully designed plans. It is far to
> easy to create call routing loops, but if you don't know what you are
> doing with a real telephony switch you can do the same.

   No SS7/ISUP support (and no TCAP, which is required for LNP and LIDB and
traditional CNAM), poor/incomplete IMT support, can't take more than a few
T1s per host - if that. No GR.303 support.

   To me that makes it essentially impotent for 99% of the purposes for
which one would want a Real Softswitch(TM).

--
Alex Balashov
Evariste Systems