[asterisk-users] g729 on 1.4.10.1

Scott Moseman scmoseman at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 11:15:11 CDT 2007

On 9/18/07, Kevin P. Fleming <kpfleming at digium.com> wrote:

> > However, in Test #3 the call will fail.  Why?
>
> Because Asterisk will attempt to use ulaw in preference to G.729 if
> possible, and the other endpoint offered to support ulaw. The format(s)
> supported by the eventual call destination are not relevant, because at
> the time Asterisk is making a format decision for the incoming call leg,
> it has no clue what the destination is going to be or what formats it
> will support.

We purchased a 1 channel G729 license for testing purposes.
However, I'm still having problems and G729 calls do not work.

[src_gateway]
disallow=all
allow=g729

[dest_phone]
disallow=all
allow=ulaw
allow=alaw

The INVITE from the gatway to Asterisk contains g729b.
The INVITE from Asterisk to the phone has g711u|g711a.

The dest phone rings, but when picked up, the call is gone
and the source phone gets a "busy" response.  What's up?

CLI> show g729
0/0 encoders/decoders of 1 licensed channels are currently in use

I'm getting frustrated simply trying to get this g729 working.

Where do I need to increase debugging in order to find out
more detailed and useful info about what's going wrong???

Thanks,
Scott