[asterisk-users] sip.conf best practices?

Eric "ManxPower" Wieling eric at fnords.org
Wed Sep 19 09:34:44 CDT 2007

We use the MAC of the phone (all lower case) with a -a, -b, -c, etc
tacked onto the end of the MAC to specify the line appearance.

One thing you MUST remember is that a sip.conf entry is NOT an
extension.  Extensions are totally different from sip.conf entries.
sip.conf entries are DEVICES.

Using the extension as the SIP account ID will cause MORE work as you
have requests for oddball and custom call routing.

We do something like this as an extension:

exten => 3727,1,Set(FAX_DEST=pmas at stirling.org)
exten => 3727,n,Set(DIAL_DEST=SIP/0004f211f9a6-a)
exten => 3727,n,Set(CFBL_DEST=SIP/0004f211f9a6-b)
exten => 3727,n,Macro(std-exten-v2)

The std-exten-v2 handles the call based on the variables set before the
macro is run.

Here is another example:

exten => 3733,1,Set(DIAL_DEST=SIP/0004f2127e9c-a)
exten => 3733,n,Set(CFBL_DEST==SIP/0004f2127e9c-b)
exten => 3733,n,Set(CFNA_DEST=Local/912124012455 at local-access)
exten => 3733,n,Set(OPER_DEST=Local/912124012455 at local-access)
exten => 3733,n,Set(FAX_DEST=bshelton at era.com)
exten => 3733,n,Macro(std-exten-v2)

Telecom newbies seem to think dialplans can be simple or short or
elegant.  They are not.  Dialplans are ugly and complex beasts.  Users
want custom call routing, users want this, users want that, etc.  No
matter how hard you try to make your dialplan simple, it won't stay that
way.