[asterisk-users] Linux limits

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Tue Sep 18 15:25:52 CDT 2007

On Tue, Sep 18, 2007 at 04:22:29PM -0400, Alex Balashov wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Sep 2007, Wai Wu wrote:
> > Any one know how to increase the Linux limit? I am hiting a wall on 200
> > calls playing files at the same time. From Asterisk console, I am
> > getting messages like
> >
> > Sip_request_call: Unable to build sip pvt data for "asterisk1/700"
> > Too many open files
> >
> > Is this a limit of my Linux box? I only have 512MB of ram. Will increase
> > it to 2G help or I have to change some configuration in Linux itself.

[ top posting fixed so I can comment as well ]

> You have to increase the amount of available file descriptors per process:
>
> http://hausheer.osola.com/docs/11%C2%A0%C2%A0

These days, I beleve the typical place to fix that is actually in
/etc/sysctl.conf, in most distros:

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/condorg/linux_scalability.html

That page notes it for RedHat derived distros, but I'm pretty sure SuSe
puts it there as well.

Cheers,
-- jra