[asterisk-users] Why does everyone seem to dislike *now?

James FitzGibbon james.fitzgibbon at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 08:50:17 CDT 2007

On 9/17/07, Jim Canfield <jcanfield at tshmail.com> wrote:

> stuff" useless. My real concern was the immediate '/ignore' for asking
> about an issue with the *now ditro that actually had nothing to do with
> the GUI itself. Truth be told, most of my time today was in the CLI

You may be taking what happened on IRC a bit too literally.

You got plenty of help on your Polycom and call parking issues on 09/14,
from some very knowledgeable people.  On 09/17, you asked one question about
rPath/Conary and one person did a '/me puts jcanfield on ignore' emote.  He
probably didn't even ignore you, it was just his way of saying he wasn't
interested in answering questions about packaging systems on a Linux distro
he doesn't use.  The simple answer to your question ("how do I get the
LDAPGet module") is answered on the Wiki - you download it from the author's
site.  The question of "how do I package some arbitrary source code into a
conary package?" isn't really germane to #asterisk.

As to the second class citizen point, I think you'll find that people who
come into #asterisk asking about problems with their GUI-enabled Asterisk
install fall into one of two categories: those who are willing to reduce the
problem down to it's non-GUI elements and pastebin the configs and output,
and those who are incapable or unwilling to do so.  The former tend to get
help from people on #asterisk; IMHO the latter should find other places to
ask for help, or pay for consulting services.

--
j.