[asterisk-users] Useful GUI? [Was: Why does everyone seem to dislike *now?]

Matt Riddell matt at venturevoip.com
Mon Sep 17 21:35:14 CDT 2007

Ken D'Ambrosio wrote:
> Are there any Asterisk GUIs out there that actually parse the data files,
> themselves, instead of having some sort of metadata middle-man, which
> leads to said overwriting?  I mean, I, personally, love the CLI -- always
> have been a fast typist -- but I also know the CLI would scare the living
> bejeepers out of my boss if/when I try to push hard on an Asterisk
> solution.  What I'd prefer is:

Pretty sure that AsteriskNow is reading as well as writing. Also, murf
made some changes to clean up rewriting the other day (blank comment
lines now get retained or something).

> - The chance to do CLI stuff as I see fit, BUT
> - the ability to let users -- even administrative users -- use a GUI,
> without messing up my beautiful config files.

:) I'd say that unless you get a race condition (i.e. GUI reads files,
you save your changes from CLI, GUI writes out changes), you should be
sweet now, although someone who uses AsteriskNow should be able to
confirm/deny.

> Is this a pipe dream, or is there a GUI out there that might actually do
> the job?

- From what I've heard, AsteriskNow is shaping up pretty nicely.

There are options for things like TrixBox too - i.e. the custom
extensions.conf stuff, but you need to remember that the machine is
running TrixBox and not change the base extensions.conf.

This used to be ok because if the extensions.conf-custom (or whatever
the filename is) only appeared on machines which had TrixBox.

I've lately seen a few machines where the extra config files exist but
TrixBox is not running (i.e. someone copied /etc/asterisk from a TrixBox
machine).

I actually put my extensions.conf stuff into a generate.php file which
writes out the extensions.conf file with parameters supplied by the
customer stored in separate files.

So our software is doing the same thing (overwriting configs) but I
don't want the users changing settings too much.

I guess this is probably pretty similar to the TrixBox idea but I
haven't had a look at how that works under the hood.

I think AsteriskNow also lets you edit configuration files from the web
page.

- --
Kind Regards,

Matt Riddell