[asterisk-users] Softphone RTP Session Start-up Delay

Anselm Martin Hoffmeister anselm at hoffmeister-online.de
Mon Sep 17 15:35:32 CDT 2007

Am Montag, den 17.09.2007, 15:50 -0400 schrieb Kutman.DK at forces.gc.ca:
> Hello,
>
> I have a small LAN network where I am running a Jain-Sip softphone on two user pc's.
> These softphones are connected through Asterisk(Trixbox).  Although the phones do
> work in providing an audio conversation, there is a long delay(about 20 seconds)
> in the initial RTP session setup.  I have tried a few values for the buffer length
> including setting it to zero.  I assumed this would drastically reduce the delay
> but there was no change.  I also tried a number of values for the minimum threshold
> and this did not change the amount of delay either.  Would anyone have an idea of
> why this delay is occurring and possibly how to reduce it?

Hello Denis,

delays in that magnitude (20 seconds or about) may be related to DNS
issues - like trying to resolve a hostname, or trying to find a hostname
for an IP address. You could try to add all relevant IPs to
the /etc/hosts file (or C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts), like

192.168.0.2 host2

and see wether that helps.

Regards,
Anselm