[asterisk-users] Mark Spencer: Digium is Growing Up (VONMAG)

Brian Capouch brianc at palaver.net
Fri Sep 14 17:01:17 CDT 2007

shadowym wrote:
> Yes thank you for reminding me it is open source.  Thank you for reminding
> me people can write their own code for it.
>
> I'll get right on rewriting the entire sip code.  Should only take me a few
> hours.  Including a couple hours to learn how to write c code.  How hard can
> it be!

I can't tell whether you're intending to prove the point that was being
made, or trying to be sarcastic.  Knowing your posting history, I'll
assume the latter.

But in case you're serious, and you really do believe the coders owe you
something, here's another translation of the situation:

If you code, if you contribute to the coding effort by intense testing
and/or filing bug reports, if you carry Red Bull to the programmers
during hacking sessions, etc., then--in the vernacular of the Church of
the Subgenius--you buy slack.

And once you have slack, you can say, "Let's do this," or "Let's do
that," and the developers will consider it and--maybe--implement it.

When, instead, you are 100% slack-free and have been noted before
nipping nasty mots at the hands that feed you code, the chances of
having your tart remarks about SLA taken seriously are pretty slim.

But, and here's  the point: It's Open Source.  If the developers look
the other way when you ask for something, if they don't answer your
emails, if they don't drop everything when you demand something and do
what you want,

FORK IT!  Take the code THEY they wrote and do with it what you will.

It's free.

b.

believed to be clean.