[asterisk-users] DECT SIP phones

Stephen Bosch posting at vodacomm.ca
Thu Sep 13 20:26:38 CDT 2007

Dave Walker wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-09-13 at 18:05 -0600, Stephen Bosch wrote:
>> Hi folks:
>>
>> I know it's come up a few times before, but I need some more detail.
>>
>> I'm looking for a SIP DECT (cordless) phone for North American
>> installations. I've heard only of the Siemens Gigaset S450/C450 phones.
>> Apparently these aren't sold for use in NAm, even though they're
>> supposed to be legal (in the United States, anyway).
>>
>> On top of that, I understand they have some annoying issues anyway.
>>

> S450:
> A recent firmware (few days old) upgrade seems to have solved the issue
> of being able to transfer calls.  The handset still does not support
> 'Message Waiting Indicator", but does show missed calls.

Yeah, that message transfer issue was my primary concern. I'm glad it's
been corrected.

I could probably live without the MWI.

Where did you get yours, and where are you located?

Is anybody using these phones in North America?

> I am using this model, the audio IMO is superb and would recommend it.

Siemens phones (German phones in general ;) ) have a reputation for very
clear sound.

I'm also interested in the Openstage phones.

> Failing that, there is the Aastra 480i-CT, (which is designed for the US
> market), but this includes a normal deskphone.  If this as good as the
> other Aastra products, then you can't go too far wrong.

I'll be doing my first Aastra deployment shortly. Everybody I know who's
used them has been very pleased.

If the Aastra phone is true DECT then it should be possible to order
just the handsets for it.

-Stephen-