[asterisk-users] Digium Appliance

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Thu Sep 13 17:24:23 CDT 2007

Noah Miller wrote:

> From what I've heard from Digium employees, you can treat it like a
> normal linux box (it's not locked in any way), so you should be able
> to do whatever you want with it.  I think the distro is very stripped
> down, though, so it may not have all the programs and utilities you
> might find in Debian or Fedora.

It runs uClinux; it has nothing except what is required for operation,
so it is nearly totally different from a traditional Linux distribution
running on an x86 platform.

As far as configuration editing, the Asterisk GUI has a tab that allows
editing any configuration file on the system, but of course there are
changes you could make that would break the GUI, so in general we tell
customers not to do that, since the box is intended to be a simple small
business PBX, not a general purpose Asterisk platform.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
Director of Software Technologies