[asterisk-users] Linux Fedora, Debian, Slackware, FreeBSD our Sun Solaris?

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Wed Sep 12 11:47:13 CDT 2007

On Wed, Sep 12, 2007 at 05:25:16PM +0100, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Sep 2007, Euler Pereira wrote:
>
> > Hey all!
> >
> >    I'm newbie in the Asterisk World but old in other telephony systems like
> > Lucent/Avaya, Sopho, Siemens and Linux/Unix system.
> >
> >    I'm in doubt, as based system, should I install Fedora, Debian,
> > Slackware, FreeBSD our Sun Solaris? Which is more robust for a small
> > Asterisk system, about 8 extensions, 4 hardphone and 4 softphone?
>
> Which of Fedora, Debian or Slackware do you know best?

I don't know Asterisk on FreeBSD well enough so I can't give a good
opinion on it.

I think Asterisk on Solaris is not mature enough. So unless you have a
different reason to use Solaris (too many simple compilation issues), or
you're otherwise more familar with Solaris, you better avoid it at this
stage.

Of the three you mentioned, I have some reservations with Fedora. Fedora
is a fast-moving Distribution. Somewhat a keen to Debian's Testing. For
about a year the distribution is maintained, but still mutates. And
hence has more chances of breaking. Then it stops recieving secirity
updates at all.

The one you have not mentioned is CentOS, which is probably worth
looking at instead of Fedora.

Debian is a very solid choice, IMHO. My personal preference.

Slackware has a different mentality: you decide what happens. You have
to apply more configurations and do more work. Maybe this also fits well
with the mentality of installing Asterisk from source. I personally have
no experince with it.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755                    jabber:tzafrir at jabber.org