[asterisk-users] Linux Fedora, Debian, Slackware, FreeBSD our Sun Solaris?

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Wed Sep 12 11:20:11 CDT 2007

   As far as I know, Asterisk was developed on Linux, and although it will
work on other systems, my best experiences have been with Linux.  This is
especially true once you start talking about integration with Zaptel,
since it requires kernel module hooks, etc.  And I think your situation
does, since you mention a "hardphone."

   As far as what distribution to install, Linux is Linux is Linux.  Use
whatever decisionmaking criteria you'd use in any other situation for
this type of system, Asterisk aside.  Personally, I run Debian and find
it the easiest to quickly install, turn up and manage if I'm deploying
an embedded system, but that's a claim that's likely to be disputed and
can lead to a religious war as much as any other question-by-proxy
concerning distributions.

   In the end, it's a matter of personal preference, mixed in with a few
subtle business-level differentiators (Fedora's official, corporate
support vs. Debian's organic, ad hoc, open-source nature, for example).

-- Alex

--
Alex Balashov
Evariste Systems