[asterisk-users] Flash IDE

Jon Pounder JonP at inline.net
Wed Sep 12 10:07:29 CDT 2007

Quoting Gordon Henderson <gordon+asterisk at drogon.net>:

> On Wed, 12 Sep 2007, Juan Sandro wrote:
>

>>> You could read the archives from a week or 2 ago under the
>>> heading:> Build your own "appliance"
>>
>> Yap... read it, thanks
>>
>> Fine.. I though about that too but what about:
>>
>> - if power fails?
>
> *shrug*
>
> What if the power fails? It reboots, reloads from flash and re-starts.
>
>> - how/when to write changes to DOM?
>
> What I do is have a separate partition on the device and write a TAR file
> of the files that I need to preserve between boots. No different from
> "copy run start" in a cisco.
>
> I have a 2nd device that is mounted read/write for Voicemail. Less
> critical than the system & configuration device
>
>>> If you're sticking a "normal" disctibution on it, I'd suggest dumping
>>> the > DOM and getting a laptop type IDE/SATA drive and using that
>>> instead. It's > not silent, but will be very quiet.
>>
>> Yeah, the trouble is that device we bough do not have space for HDs.. :)
>
> Make sure it doesn't over heat then...

I think most of the commercial voicemail solutions use harddrives, so
does stuff like tivo for that matter. I wouldn't put vm on flash, os
and config yes.

  How quiet does this place need to be ? don't the users all have
computers already ? is the a/c silent too ? Just in my personal office
there is so much background hum it masks out external noise almost
completely, but its not an objectionably loud level, ie no one I have
been on the phone with has ever commented on the noise level and it
does not interfere with conversations.  Server room - now thats
another story completely.

> Gordon

Jon Pounder

    _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/       _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/_/_/_/

Inline Internet Systems Inc.
Thorold, Ontario, Canada

Tools to Power Your e-Business Solutions
www.inline.net
www.ihtml.com
www.ihtmlmerchant.com
www.opayc.com