[asterisk-users] Flash IDE

Diego Iastrubni diego.iastrubni at xorcom.com
Wed Sep 12 00:52:14 CDT 2007

Disable DMA on that drive. Thee HD/DOM/CF-card does not support DMA and
linux tries to "DMA" it.

On 9/11/07, Mojo with Horan & Company, LLC <mojo at horanappraisals.com> wrote:

> For real!   I see the BIOS, then I see GRUB "Loading stage 1.5" and then
> a good 60 seconds go by before the kernel and initrd have been loaded
> and control switches over to them.
>
> Stock kernel on CentOS 4.4

(gmail quoting stinks)
Ed W, wrote
>- Flash rewrites quite a few times
>- The good stuff has wear levelling so that most roughly speaking the
>whole thing should work until it suddenly all fails
>- Given a big enough drive with a fair bit of free space then you should
>find it hard to wear it out in less than quite a few years even if you
>are hitting it quite hard (probably multiples of this).  Simply do the
>maths to get the rough life

In the last 2 years I have personally killed 2 DOMs of 512 MB. They where
running Debian Sarge, and were set up to run on TMPFS. The reason why they
died is because I tested the installation on those systems: this means zero
out HDA and then copy it all over again from a backup.

In real life, in real usage, I think those will last quite more, since the
disk is not been written all that much. But still, be warned.