[asterisk-users] Connecting Legacy Pbx With Asterisk With FXS.

C F shmaltz at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 08:55:19 CDT 2007

On 9/11/07, Olivier <oza-4h07 at myamail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> So, if you dedicate PBX ports to serve as a trunk, you're likely to loose
> the abilty to forward DID calls : when a call for an Asterisk user comes
> into Panasonic PBX, it will be forwarded to Panasonic FXS trunk ports.
> Then, Asterisk should have no mean to decode to which extension, the call
> has to be forwarded, has it comes from an FXO port which won't carry any
> data such as CallerID.

I'm not sure exactly what you are saying but if you meant to say that
if the panasonic side uses station (FXS) ports and on asterisk FXO
ports then read on, otherwise you are right.
In general this is not true, CallerID will be passed on with the right
cards in the system (in particular panasonic TD1232). DID/extension
can be passed with almost every semi-decent system. I have done it
with the Avaya Partner, Panasonic and ohters. In most cases you setup
a VoiceMail system on the host (legacy) machine, then put the FXS
ports on the legacy PBX in a group as a DTMF integrated voicemail
system, what happens next is that the host PBX sends you DTMF for the
DID/Extension after asterisk picked up the phone before it is bridged.
Works for me.

For some documentation on it:
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk-Partner+ACS