[asterisk-users] Flash IDE

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Tue Sep 11 06:32:11 CDT 2007

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007, Juan Sandro wrote:

> Hi
>
> We have a number offices accommodating 4-6 people each hence it is very
> important for PBX to be fanless and silent. We have been looking at using
> IDE flash disks also called DOM. The performance tests we have done so far
> satisfy our requirements, however we are concerned with DOM durability.
>
> We have installed debian and vanilla asterisk on 1GB DOM. All seems to work
> fine at the moment however will DOM last? How long it will last? Is anyone
> able to share similar experience? Any other information/tips?

You could read the archives from a week or 2 ago under the heading:
   Build your own "appliance"

I use these deices, but I unload them entirely into RAM.

I have seen devices (eary mikrotik routers?) with them as live (and ext3
no less!) filesystems, but I would be very concerend about their lifespan.

One thing to note and this might well shaft you is that they use POI mode
rather than DMA (or at least the ones I'm using do) so they will really
crowbar the bus & cpu when doing transfers to/from them, however with only
4-6 people and not doing much like writing voicemail, etc. you may not
notice it.

If you're sticking a "normal" disctibution on it, I'd suggest dumping the
DOM and getting a laptop type IDE/SATA drive and using that instead. It's
not silent, but will be very quiet.

Gordon