[asterisk-users] Which cause less CPU usage: GSM or wav??

Atis atis at BEST.eu.org
Mon Sep 10 10:34:07 CDT 2007

On 9/10/07, Barton Fisher <bart at icpage.com> wrote:
> Thanks Guys...  ulaw it is.  One more question if you don't mind.  If a
> phase recorded as both .wav and .ulaw in the same folder, which will
> asterisk pick using Playback(), Read() and Background() since you can't
> specify the file extension in the command?
> I thought I change my script to begin recording new messages in ulaw
> instead of converting them all to ulaw at once. So it's possible to have
> two prompts with both file extension at a time

Asterisk will try to find file in codec currently in use, and if it
can't find, it will try to use file with less translation time (try
"show transcoding" in CLI). So - you can have files in all the codecs
used in your PBX, asterisk will choose most appropriate. The same goes
for MOH.

A little caveat - "sox" doesn't understands file extensions used by
asterisk (or it's just asterisk, trying to use file extensions that
match codec name). So - some sox commandline hints:

ulaw: -t ul
alaw: -t al
slin: -t raw -s -w

Regards,