[asterisk-users] Which cause less CPU usage: GSM or wav??

James FitzGibbon james.fitzgibbon at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 08:42:31 CDT 2007

On 9/9/07, Barton Fisher <bart at icpage.com> wrote:

> Thanks, OK, a bit confused....  The cards are TE410P.  I really don't
> see how the set a codec for this, other than it might default to
> something in code like ulaw.  Any clue on how to verify codec in use
> during a call?

If you absolutely want to be sure, use 'pri intense debug span X' and watch
for SETUP messages:

< Protocol Discriminator: Q.931 (8)  len=62
< Call Ref: len= 2 (reference 542/0x21E) (Originator)
< Message type: SETUP (5)
< [04 03 80 90 a2]
< Bearer Capability (len= 5) [ Ext: 1  Q.931 Std: 0  Info transfer
capability: Speech (0)
<                              Ext: 1  Trans mode/rate: 64kbps, circuit-mode
(16)
<                              Ext: 1  User information layer 1: u-Law (34)
< [18 03 a9 83 95]
< Channel ID (len= 5) [ Ext: 1  IntID: Implicit  PRI  Spare: 0  Exclusive
Dchan: 0
<                        ChanSel: Reserved
<                       Ext: 1  Coding: 0  Number Specified  Channel Type: 3
<                       Ext: 1  Channel: 21 ]

You'll see the voice characteristics in the Bearer Capability details (I
have NI-2, this might be different for NI-2 or other PRI variants).

But as others have mentioned, generally T1 PRI = uLaw, E1 PRI = aLaw.

--
j.