[asterisk-users] Which cause less CPU usage: GSM or wav??

Thomas Kenyon digium at sanguinarius.co.uk
Mon Sep 10 06:06:52 CDT 2007

Barton Fisher wrote:
> Thanks, OK, a bit confused....  The cards are TE410P.  I really don't
> see how the set a codec for this, other than it might default to
> something in code like ulaw.  Any clue on how to verify codec in use
> during a call?

G.711ulaw and G.711alaw are the audio transmission methods used for
ISDN. If you have a T1 line then the transmission method is G.711ulaw.

I've been told that if you play a ulaw signal down an alaw line (T1
signal down E1) then at the other end the voice sounds a bit like a
dalek. (Iit's very hard to do this with asterisk since it automatically
transcodes between endpoints).

The lack of a performance hit is quite striking when you have a
recording playing back as a native format rather than being transcoded.
(well, it's quite striking when you have thousands of them running
simultaneously).