[asterisk-users] Build your own "appliance" concept

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Fri Sep 7 01:49:12 CDT 2007

On Fri, Sep 07, 2007 at 05:18:10AM +0100, Gordon Henderson wrote:

> It's not that efficient, and I could save space by using uClib, busybox,
> etc. but it's really not worth it, but 2 things I don't have on the target
> system is perl and vim.. Perl is about 10MB, as is vim.

mini-perl, which is good enough to run a large portion of the perl
scripts, is 1MB. Consider adding a few moudles manually to it.
mini-perl is not part of any package, to the best of my knowledge. But
it is built as part of building perl

Debian has a package called vim-tiny which only depends on vim-common .
Those two packages together has a total installed-size of 1.5MB . It
lacks many of the standard options of vim, but still way better than nvi
or (yuck) busybox vi.

> Right now I don't
> have a need for either (and I use nano when I do need to tweak stuff which
> is rarely)

nano's isntalled size is 1.6MB . If you rarely use it, consider
installing nano-tiny instead, which has an installed size of 252kB .

Aternatively, just replace both with ed, which has an installed isze of
144kB :-)

> Perl would be nice so I could run stuff like mrtg locally on
> the boxes, but isn't essential for now.
>
> So if there are some new security implications on the current Debian, or
> an asterisk upgrade, I just upgrade/update the build box, then create a
> new initrd.gz file and install it. (however this is in the order of 40MB
> for an Asterisk system with apache & php) so it a bit tricky to do a field
> upgrade if the remote system is bandwidth limited, but I can pull it in
> off a USB drive if necessary.

Replacing apache with a lesser httpd-cgi and using php-cgi is also an option
if the program that requires PHP is mostly unused, and you want to
conserve space.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755                    jabber:tzafrir at jabber.org