[asterisk-users] Multitenant or Multiple virtual machines

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Fri Sep 7 01:26:43 CDT 2007

On Fri, Sep 07, 2007 at 12:31:10AM +0100, Chris Bagnall wrote:

> > I wouldn't
> > mind trying it, but since it will probably involve having to purchase
> > multiple software licenses, we want to avoid the $ expense
>
> What expense? If you've already got the servers, everything else you
> need is available open-source. Linux is open source, asterisk is open
> source, Xen is open source. Don't quote me on this - but isn't there
> even an open source version of VMware server these days?

VMWare is not free software.

> (There's
> certainly a free version of VMware server, so even if it isn't open
> source, there isn't any $ expense)

linux-vserver is also free software and openvz is also free software (or
open source, if you prefer that name). And both make more sense in that
scenario: they basically give you a glorified chroot with the ability to
assign IP addresses to the instances. This is the level of separation
oyu're really after. You can easily share disks accross installations
(e.g: bind-mount in the host) and it is much easier to manage everything
from the host.

You can still share memory between instances.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755                    jabber:tzafrir at jabber.org
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com