[asterisk-users] Build your own "appliance" concept

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Thu Sep 6 17:09:46 CDT 2007

On Thu, Sep 06, 2007 at 01:05:28PM -0600, Jeremy P wrote:
> I've been working on this the past few days and thought I would put it out
> there to see if anyone else has interest in it.  It really has nothing to do
> with the Digium appliance, I've just been looking for some mass produced
> solid state hardware to run small branch offices off of for awhile now and I
> think I've finally landed on something I like.
>
> Basically I've taken an HP thin client workstation which is all solid state
> and loaded Debian and Asterisk on it (well, Asterisk-GUI too, but just to
> prove I could make it "appliance-worthy").  I'd be interested in any
> feedback on how to improve it, specifically on how to make Debian and
> Asterisk take up less space so I could buy the model that only has 512 MB of
> flash rather than 1 GB.
>
> Here's the link. http://tinyurl.com/2hf2cu  Let me know what you think.

If you're going to build an appliance which is limited with disk space,
then building Asterisk on it is generally not the best idea. You should
have a separate build system.

To create a separate Debian system under any other Linux system, use
debootstrap. This will give you a build environment for a Debian system.
I would generally recommend to use packages for as much as possible of
the build process, as this allows a more reproducable build.

Astlinux was also mentioned. If you decide to go that route, you'll
probably need a separate build system as well, as you'll need to
customize their image.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755                    jabber:tzafrir at jabber.org