[asterisk-users] E1 Line Tapping

Andrew Joakimsen joakimsen at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 16:02:37 CDT 2007

On 9/5/07, Ricardo Gemignani <haoole at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>   My name is Ricardo and unfortunately I'm just crawling in this
> telecomm/asterisk world. So, after reading all day long i still don't
> understand a few things. :D
>
>   I'm trying to "develop" a call recorder for a costumer. He has a small
> call center ( 10 agents ) and want to record all calls. Since he already has
> everything (ACD only) working perfectly in the PBX and don't want me to
> "touch" it, I need do develop a  less intrusive as possible system.
>
>   I was thinking to do a line tapping in his E1 branch before it reaches the
> PBX and record it using Asterisk, then develop a small web interface to
> recover the recordings.
>
>   In my research about E1 line tapping I found this product from Sangoma (
> http://www.sangoma.com/datasheets/tapping ) but could not
> understand exactly how it really works.
>
>   Does anybody already used it?
>
>   Is it possible to use it with Asterisk?
>
> tia,
> Ricardo Gemignani

You need double the number of E1 ports in your Asterisk machine as
there are E1 ports in the PBX. So say the PBX has 3 E1 ports, you need
6 on your Asterisk machine.

Basically you are going to put Asterisk to interface with the PSTN on
half the ports, the otehr half will continue to be the same to the
PBX. You use cpe_net on PBX end of things in Asterisk,. so the PBX
does not need to be re-configured.

There is no need for "tapping" the Asterisk will just be in the middle
of the PBX and PSTN.