[asterisk-users] off-hook warning tone

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Tue Sep 4 16:25:14 CDT 2007

On Tue, Sep 04, 2007 at 03:44:46PM -0500, Eric ManxPower Wieling wrote:
> The correct term for this tone is "howler".  I'm surprised it is not in
> indications.conf

There are two sorts.  The 'howler' is usually a single frequency tone
-- 1500ish Hz, I think -- that gets progressively louder over time.

The other one, called a "Screaming Mimi" where I grew up, is a
four-frequency tone interrupted at 120ipm (I think, might be 240...
turns out it's 300).

Both are *much* louder than anything else that ever goes over a copper
POTS circuit; loud enough that they'll actually cause crosstalk in some
cabling.

	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Off_hook_tone
	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permanent_signal

Cheers,