[asterisk-users] off-hook warning tone

Anthony Messina amessina at messinet.com
Tue Sep 4 15:59:36 CDT 2007

On Tuesday 04 September 2007 03:24:59 pm Robert Lister wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 04, 2007 at 07:41:53AM -0500, Anthony Messina wrote:
> > well i'm looking for the feature that the telco provides where, if you've
> > left the phone off-hook for 60 seconds or so without input, it gives you
> > the loud "put the damn phone back on the hook" noise.
> >
> > it works if i set absolute timeout to 60 and use the congestion tone, but
> > i was hoping to use the actual off-hook warning tone.
> >
> > it seems as if the tone itself is not generated properly within asterisk.
>
> Curious as I have not had problems with generating the tones.
>
> It's worth checking that in sip.conf the language= option is set to the
> same section you are editing in indications.conf
>
> In the dialplan, what I think should happen is that when you do:
>
> Congestion()
>
> You send a congestion message back to the phone using SIP (rather than
> in-band audio) so the handset is probably generating the Congestion tone,
> not asterisk as it is not yet in the media path.
>
> If you did it inband audio:-
>
> Answer()
> Playtones(congestion)
>
> This would play the tone from indications.conf - have an experiment with
> this by setting up a little extension and dialling it.
>
> As far as I can tell, AbsoluteTimeout() is just a global timeout for the
> duration of a call, so if you set it to AbsoluteTimeout(30) then the call
> (any call) will be hung up after 30 seconds.
>
> http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/index.php?page=Asterisk+cmd+AbsoluteTimeout
>
> Some handsets allow you to customise the tones played - depends on the
> handset. And some handsets have a hotline feature to dial a given extension
> after no digits have been dial for N seconds. (So you could get the handset
> to dial a special extension which then answers the channel and plays the
> noise you want!)
>
> I could be wrong of course. Never wanted to do this as our phones just seem
> to go back on-hook regardless after some dial timeout has elapsed.
>
> Rob

thank you for your help.  if you define 1400+2060+2450+2600/100,0/100 as a
tone in indications.conf, then set up a test extension to play that tone, are
you able to hear the same tone generated by the attached mp3 file?  i have
not been able to replicate that tone (that i got from
http://www.3amsystems.com/wireline/tone-search.htm?start=20&kCountry=184&format=Zaptel )

i can play all the other default tones in indications.conf properly.

a quote from indications.conf:
; The frequency component may be a mixture of two
; frequencies (f1+f2) or a frequency modulated by another frequency (f1*f2).

my only guess as to why the tone i'm trying to create won't work is because
the first part is a mixture of 4 tones (1400+2060+2450+2600) and maybe
asterisk won't generate that, though i'm not sure.

--
Anthony -  http://messinet.com - http://messinet.com/~amessina/gallery
8F89 5E72 8DF0 BCF0 10BE 9967 92DC 35DC B001 4A4E