[asterisk-users] off-hook warning tone

Robert Lister robl at linx.net
Tue Sep 4 15:24:59 CDT 2007

On Tue, Sep 04, 2007 at 07:41:53AM -0500, Anthony Messina wrote:

> well i'm looking for the feature that the telco provides where, if you've left
> the phone off-hook for 60 seconds or so without input, it gives you the
> loud "put the damn phone back on the hook" noise.
>
> it works if i set absolute timeout to 60 and use the congestion tone, but i
> was hoping to use the actual off-hook warning tone.
>
> it seems as if the tone itself is not generated properly within asterisk.

Curious as I have not had problems with generating the tones.

It's worth checking that in sip.conf the language= option is set to the same
section you are editing in indications.conf

In the dialplan, what I think should happen is that when you do:

Congestion()

You send a congestion message back to the phone using SIP (rather than
in-band audio) so the handset is probably generating the Congestion tone,
not asterisk as it is not yet in the media path.

If you did it inband audio:-

Answer()
Playtones(congestion)

This would play the tone from indications.conf - have an experiment with
this by setting up a little extension and dialling it.

As far as I can tell, AbsoluteTimeout() is just a global timeout for the
duration of a call, so if you set it to AbsoluteTimeout(30) then the call
(any call) will be hung up after 30 seconds.

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/index.php?page=Asterisk+cmd+AbsoluteTimeout

Some handsets allow you to customise the tones played - depends on the
handset. And some handsets have a hotline feature to dial a given extension
after no digits have been dial for N seconds. (So you could get the handset
to dial a special extension which then answers the channel and plays the
noise you want!)

I could be wrong of course. Never wanted to do this as our phones just seem
to go back on-hook regardless after some dial timeout has elapsed.

Rob

--
Robert Lister     - London Internet Exchange - http://www.linx.net/
sip:robl at linx.net - inoc-dba:5459*710        - tel: +44 (0)20 7645 3510