[asterisk-users] unnumbered priorities

Anselm Martin Hoffmeister anselm at hoffmeister-online.de
Mon Sep 3 02:04:51 CDT 2007

Am Sonntag, den 02.09.2007, 23:25 -0700 schrieb fateme fatah:
> Hi:
> When should we use "unnumbered priorities"(n) in extensions.What is
> the different between these 2 forms of extensions.conf? and ,Are both
> true?
> extensions.conf:
> form1:
> [Conferencerooms]
> exten => 333,1,Answer
> exten => 333,n,meetme(8000|cim)
> exten => 333,n,playback(vm-goodbye)
> exten => 333,n,hangup
>
> form2:
> [Conferencerooms]
> exten => 333,1,Answer
> exten => 333,2,meetme(8000|cim)
> exten => 333,3,playback(vm-goodbye)
> exten => 333,4,hangup

On one of my Asterisk 1.2 setups, I have a dialplan that mixes both - so
they can coexist in the same extensions.conf.

The difference is that with the "n" type extensions, you can easily
insert a line or three without renumbering lots of lines - and searching
for all those GOTOs that also need a new line number. Renumbering
error-prone.

An advantage of numbering is that the line order is not important,
because of course Asterisk would select by number, not order - and
possibly (although I did not investigate this) including _parts_ of an
extension from another context might work better.

All my new extensions use the "n" style, but I am not going to rewrite
the older parts of the dialplan soon.

BR
Anselm