[asterisk-users] Faxing with Asterisk & SpanDSP [Was Fax Problems with SpanDSP]

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Wed Oct 31 14:31:36 CDT 2007

On Wednesday 31 October 2007 13:55:32 joakimsen at gmail.com wrote:
> Steve Underwood wrote:
>  > SpanDSP cannot be used by the standard distribution of Asterisk, as it
>  > is GPL code. However, if you are using Asterisk within the restrictions
>  > of the GPL you can add app_rxfax and app_txfax to Asterisk quite easily.
>
> I was wondering how someone could modify Asterisk to be GPL compliant?

Asterisk is already GPL compliant.  The issue is that the code has exceptions
to the GPL, to allow it to be linked to certain patented codecs, for example,
without violating patent licenses or the GPL.

SpanDSP, on the other hand, is not dual licensed, so you cannot run, for
example, both G.729 and SpanDSP in the same binary (legally), since the
pure GPL license of SpanDSP "pollutes" the Asterisk binary to require the same
of the G.729 codec (which is not permissible until the patents on G.729
expire).

--
Tilghman