[asterisk-users] Mobile phone codecs ...

Anselm Martin Hoffmeister anselm at hoffmeister-online.de
Wed Oct 31 14:30:23 CDT 2007

Am Mittwoch, den 31.10.2007, 16:47 +0000 schrieb Gordon Henderson:
> Not strictly asterisk related, however...
>
> No GSM!
>
> How odd is that, given that it's a GSM mobile phone...

Maybe the GSM codec is implanted to the "GSM chip" and that one does
alaw, ulaw...

> Anyway, my quest for the ultimate "one handset" solution is getting
> closer. If Wi-Fi weren't so rubbish and my house not made of Dartmoor
> Granite it might have half a chance of working outside the room with the
> access point, however ...

That is one of the two points I like at the "American style" wood and
wallpaper houses (the other being that construction is cheap and easy,
in comparison). Living in a concrete house is not all the best thing as
well though. My Pirelli dual-mode phone loses WLAN link just outside my
flat door in the hall way, one concrete wall and about five meters from
the Access Point. What luck they only used drywall inside the appartment.

> Anyone tried the Plantronics Voyager 510 bluetooth headsets which
> regsiters to both a mobile phone and their own base unit (which
> presumably has a USB sound device)

I had a Plantronics device here that connected to a phone-line-tap base
station or to my mobile via bluetooth. I did not buy it though because
it only worked with my Sony T610 (stone-age old, about 2003), not with
my O2 xda.

I sold one plantronics 510 to a customer who uses it with his Nokia
Esomething, and really likes it. AFAIK the USB device that comes with it
is a bluetooth dongle, not a virtual audio device, but that might be
different between versions of that device, and my customer definitely
does not use it.

I noticed with my plantronics device back then that you needed to
re-pair it (whohoo, never noticed that similarity repair to re-pair) to
whatever device you want to use it with, and that sucked because it took
half a minute and some interaction with the mobile or base station.

> as in:
>
> https://www.ukheadsets.co.uk/thc-plantronics-voyager-510-usb-dongle-rn-422-action-show_detail-show_products_mode-cat_click
>
> I'm not a fan of soft-phones, and not sure I want to have a borg implant
> on when I'm not driving, but ...

resistance is futile :-#

Best regards,

Anselm