[asterisk-users] Fax Problems with SpanDSP

Steve Davies davies147 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 10:09:37 CDT 2007

On 8/29/07, Christian Peter <christian.peter at charlysworld.de> wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 29.08.2007, 20:13 +0800 schrieb Steve Underwood:
> > Christian Peter wrote:
> > > Hi list,
> > >
> > > I'm running current SpanDSP
> > > http://www.soft-switch.org/downloads/spandsp/spandsp-0.0.4pre6.tgz
> > > with Asterisk 1.2.22 somewhat successfully.
> > >
> > > Most Fax machines do work but I have problems with people having
> > > Tobit FaxWare and Shamrock CapiFax.
> > >
> > > http://www.tobit.com/login/mrd.asp?CategoryID=120
> > > http://www.shamrock.de/
> > >
> > > I've got black bars over the pages. In Tobit some content is Ok, other
> > > is covered by the black bars. Anyone else has simliar problems?
> > >
> > > I talked to Tobit and they said there should be an option somewhere in
> > > SpanDSP to disable Fax header crossbars. But I found none.
> > >
> > > Can anybody help me with this issue. Please no "switch to Hylafax"
> > > mails, because I'm very happy with SpanDSP, it integrates nicely and
> > > works most time.
> > >
> > > Thank you,
> > > Regards
> > >
> > > Christian Peter
> > >
> > I assume if you are using spandsp-0.0.4pre6 you have adapted
> > app_rxfax.c. and app_txfax.c to work with it.
>
> Hi Steve,
>
> thank you for your help. I'm using
>
> http://www.soft-switch.org/downloads/snapshots/spandsp/test-apps-asterisk-1.2/
>
> without modifications.
>

> > I haven't heard from anyone using tobit or shamrock software (who on
> > earth wants to call their company tobit? weird). I have no idea what fax
> > header crossbars might be. Do they have some kind of bicycle integration
> > in their product? :-\
>
> :) That was just a simple translation I looked up in a dictionary. Call
> it blocks, or banners. I either don't know what they meant :)
>

> > Is your problem when sending from Asterisk or receiving? Can you enable
> > debug and e-mail me a log and (assuming its a receive problem) the
> > resulting TIFF file.
>
> The problems occur on receiving. I'll do that and send you the email
> soon.

Hi,

Did any progress occur on this? I too am using 0.0.4 spandsp snapshots
to receive faxes with quite a significant degree of success on a
1.2.24 asterisk box. I also get the only 8-bytes in a TIFF file
problem occasionally. Generally this occurs if there are also a number
of line-errors shown in the page-received report (this is not
scientifically correlated!)

I always assumed that this was ECM causing a page to be abandoned if
there were too many errors, but if I disable ECM in rxfax, I get the
same results.

Any feedback welcome.

Regards,
Steve