[asterisk-users] SIP response time in Asterisk

David Boyd dboyd at ignitetrx.com
Fri Oct 26 13:51:43 CDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-10-26 at 11:12 -0700, John Riek wrote:
> I need to know how fast a sip device needs to respond
> to an INVITE sip message from asterisk before asterisk
> retransmits the INVITE message again.
>
> Thanks
Snip  ---

7.2.1 INVITE received

   When an INVITE request is received by the gateway, a "100 Trying"
   response MAY be sent back to the SIP network indicating that the
   gateway is handling the call.

   The necessary hardware resources for the media stream MUST be
   reserved in the gateway when the INVITE is received, since an IAM
   message cannot be sent before the resource reservation (especially
   TCIC selection) takes place.  Typically the resources consist of a
   time slot in an E1/T1 and an RTP/UDP port on the IP side.  Resources
   might also include any quality-of-service provisions (although no
   such practices are recommended in this document).
   After sending the IAM the timer T7 is started.  The default value of
   T7 is between 20 and 30 seconds.  The gateway goes to the 'Trying'
   state.