[asterisk-users] Initial review of American Telecom X10001P DECT/SIP phone

Mojo with Horan & Company, LLC mojo at horanappraisals.com
Fri Oct 26 13:21:39 CDT 2007

The initial review is re-posted at the bottom:

Mojo with Horan & Company, LLC wrote:
> Mojo with Horan & Company, LLC wrote:
>
>> And it makes *clear* calls assuming you're within allowable range.
>> Speakerphone seems to work well too.
>>
> I meant to mention that the DTMF tones and dialtone sound like they're
> played at such a high volume that they clip through the handset's
> speaker.  DTMF is rfc2833, so what I'm hearing through the handset isn't
> affecting asterisk's ability to understand them, they're just comfort
> tones, but the clipping of their playback is far from comforting :)  I
> haven't noticed this with any calls though.  All in-call audio sounds
> excellent.  It's just the phone's indications that are gained too high
>
> Moj

--------original note-----------------------

Setup with Asterisk was easy per recent threads on this list referencing
the tool at
http://asterisk.drunkcoder.com/hacks/ats-config/

And it makes *clear* calls assuming you're within allowable range.
Speakerphone seems to work well too.

The firmware is clunky to say the least.  Anyone who's tried ZyXEL's
P2000W v2 knows exactly what I'm talking about.
This one seems even a little less effective that the ZyXEL.  Many
features are accessed by holding buttons down, which is kind of
unintuitive when it's not noted with an icon or symbol on the phone.  I
didn't know half of what the phone did until I had read the book.  Don't
get me wrong, the book goes into great detail -- and I was fairly happy
I didn't need the book to receive and make calls - but I didn't even
know it had a speakerphone, and I STILL don't know what the little
symbol that gets you to the recent call log means...   like a little
Venn diagram with two circles overlapping :)

Now, I know many people can look past the clunky firmwares and
ineffective menus if it just makes and receives calls ok.  And it does,
as I noted, if you're within range.  I'm not sure where the 900' range
comes from on Walmart's page.  I start getting the audio cracking up
after about THIRTY feet.  I have a very typical 2x4-and-drywall house,
with the base located upstairs.  I get crappy audio quality downstairs,
just twenty feet away, through a very simple floor.   It's especially
annoying because when it finally loses connection with the base, which
can even happen while you still are hearing choppy audio, the call is
lost and the screen on the handset just says Searching...

There are no visible antennas in the base or the handset.  It seems a
little engineering time might have improved the reception on this model
before it even went out the door.  Maybe it would work well for a flat
ranch.

In comparison, my 10-year-old toshiba cordless phone running on 900MHz,
with a stated 50' range, goes four city blocks from my office clear as a
bell.  I am so glad there exist ATAs.  I wholeheartedly recommend a
900MHz cordless phone with an ATA over this X10001P DECT offereing.
I hope I save someone some money with this review.

On another note, has anyone successfully upgraded the firmware? I've
heard of bricked units.  I doubt it would improve the reception but I'd
be willing to try.

Mojo