[asterisk-users] In my messages log..

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Fri Oct 26 01:54:08 CDT 2007

On Thu, Oct 25, 2007 at 04:08:11PM -0700, Dominic Son wrote:
> Hi. I'm still a bit of a newb to linux, I see this in my messages log:
> Asterisk init: Id "ax" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
>
> What does this mean?
> and how severe is it?

This is something to do with your distribution oior your local setup and
probably nothing to do with asterisk. The message comes from the init
process.

To see the command for label "ax" see:

  grep ^ax /etc/inittab

or actually:

  grep ^ax /etc/inittab | cut -d: -f3-

That command is probably with "respawn", which means that the init
process should restart it automatically. However init has noticed that
this process has failed too many times too quickly. This can easily
leave the system unusable in an infinite loop. So it stops respawning
that process for 5 minutes.

I suggest that you take this to the standard support channels of your
distribution.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com