[asterisk-users] Dedicated Codec Conversion Server

Steve Totaro stotaro at first-notification.com
Wed Oct 24 22:53:31 CDT 2007

I have a need for a large number of remote phones.  I want to use GSM
between the phones and the conversion server which will transcode to
ulaw eventually send or recieve calls via the PSTN (ulaw).

I am curious is anyone has any ideas on the easiest way to create a
dedicated codec conversion box.  It will be running openvpn and so will
the remote PCs with softphones (x-lite).

So I want the remote softphones to connect to the codec conversion
asterisk box and then send the call to the main Asterisk server as ulaw
and pass call in and out the pstn as ulaw.

Any ideas for a simple implementation without creating all kinds of
funky conf files.  Seems simple but the solution eludes me (maybe
because I have been working over 18 hours.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro