[asterisk-users] OSLEC and zaptel-1.4.5.1

Alan Lord alanslists at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 14:34:30 CDT 2007

Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 24, 2007 at 01:20:31PM -0400, Dave Fullerton wrote:
>
>> This looks like it is isolated to 1.4.5.x.
>
> Right.
>
>> It looks like digium added
>
> Just to set the record straight, it was me who added it, and thus caused
> hte changed behaviour you noticed here. The behaviour was restored in later
> 1.4.6 by qwell of Digium (thanks)
>
>> a method of selecting the echo canceler by using environment variables but
>> didn't get it quite right. It appears to be fixed in 1.4.6. In 1.4.6 it
>> will use the selection made in zconfig.h UNLESS you set ECHO_CAN_NAME to
>> your preferred echo canceler (OSLEC,MG2,etc) to override it.

Hi all.

The small tweak suggested by Marco Signorini did the trick.

I have oslec running on my cloned x100p card and it is fantastic. We
have no more echo! *

* Well, I am using a Linux Ubuntu Desktop with the Twinkle Soft SIP
phone and my audio device is the Polycom Communicator. Now the Polycom
was built mainly for Skype and they have considerable echo cancellation
technology built into their Windows *only* driver software. So it used
to be the cause of much echo unless I connected a headset to the socket
on the Communicator itself.

However, with the OSLEC running I can now use the Polycom handsfree and
I hear almost zero echo (almost imperceptible).

I will drop the author a note and suggest that someone who understands
this stuff, try and build a USB driver for devices like the Polycom
using the OSLEC technology...

Thanks for the initial response Marco.

And anyone who has echo problems with x100p or other analogue cards
should really give this a try. Most of the experiences I have read about
have been very positive. Mine also :-)

Alan

--
The way out is open!