[asterisk-users] Voicemail playback on iPhone

Norman Franke norman at myasd.com
Wed Oct 24 12:30:47 CDT 2007

On Oct 24, 2007, at 12:25 PM, asterisk-users-request at lists.digium.com
wrote:

> This is semi-related, but I have a Tmobile MDA and I couldn't play the
> files either.  The issue was not a codec issue, it was an email
> encoding
> issue.  If I sent the message to an email account and it was then
> downloaded to my desktop via outlook and then forwarded on to my
> phone,
> I can listen to them.  If I just send it direct to the phone, I see
> the
> attachment and it opens in media player, but it won't play.  I don't
> know if you are having codec issues or email encoding issues, but
> it is
> a place to look.

I have an iPhone and tried several things to get a message to play in
an email and I gave up. I ended up mailing a link that then runs the
file through a conversion CGI-like deal. Unfortunately, the iPhone
also doesn't support many low bandwidth codecs. It does support AMR,
but that's about it.

I eventually got this working, but not with Asterisk. It's for our
legacy voice mail system.

-Norman Franke
ASD, Inc.