[asterisk-users] Asterisk under VMWare

Mojo with Horan & Company, LLC mojo at horanappraisals.com
Tue Oct 23 13:41:16 CDT 2007

Michiel van Baak wrote:
> On 18:51, Tue 23 Oct 07, WipeOut wrote:
>
>> Anyone had any experience with an Asterisk server as a VMWare virtual
>> machine?
>>

> We are running multiple sites as a VMWare virtual machine.
> All of them are voip only, so I have no idea how it works
> with T1/E1/POTS interface cards, but as a pure voip setup it
> works great.

I've understood that VMWare virtual machines cannot access physical
hardware in the host machine directly, only the emulated hardware VMWare
provides.  As such, no T1/E1/POTS interfaces that connect via PCI.

I'm not sure about the suitability of this route, but I would assume
that any T1/E1/POTS USB devices out there would work, if they exist,
because VMWare *does* allow the host's USB devices to connect to the
guest..  Wasn't there talk on the list lately about a USB DS3 adapter?