[asterisk-users] Call Hold

Alan Lord alanslists at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 08:11:25 CDT 2007

Lees, James (UK) wrote:
> Hello Again,
>
> I was just wondering if anyone can give me a heads up regarding the
> possibility of identifying that a user currently in an active call is
> also being dialled by another extension.
>
> Does asterisk/sip issue an event that says there's a call attempting to
> reach you? If so, I will then use this information to update an
> interface which will then give the user the opportunity to put the
> current line on hold and take the waiting call.
>
> Is it possible to put a user on hold and take another call?

<snip />

I would surmise that some or most of the answer to this is related to
your SIP (or whatever you use) client phone. I use a soft sip phone on
my Linux desktop computer called Twinkle. This supports two connections
so I can toggle between two calls without Asterisk even having to know
about it...

If your client device only supports one "line" then Asterisk will see it
as busy if it tries to route another call to it. So you would have to do
something with that information in your dialplan. Whether your client
could receive and act upon additional messages depends on it's capabilities.

HTH

Alan

--
The way out is open!