[asterisk-users] Can I emulate SIP presence for an extension?

Ade Vickers javickers at solutionengineers.com
Fri Oct 19 18:26:28 CDT 2007

I recently implemented a simple "spam trap" extension for telemarketers -
once identified as a telemarketer (usually they ask to speak to the person
in charge of recruiting/website/purchasing/etc.), I simply offer to put them
through to the person in question, & dump them on a special extension which
plays music for 15 seconds, then 1.5s silence, then a "please wait, we're
trying to put you through" message; repeat until they give up waiting.

I'm using a Grandstream GXP2000 phone, so I've got 7 "presence" lights; of
which I'm only using a couple at the moment.

Is it possible in Asterisk 1.4.x to issue a dialplan command which will set
a phantom SIP extension to "busy" for as long as a caller is in the "spam
trap", & back to idle when they finally give up & hang up?

The basic reason is twofold:

1) I want to see just how long they're willing to wait, and
2) For a sense of personal amusement (yes, I am a bad man) :)

Cheers,
Ade.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
17:47