[asterisk-users] Is anyone successfully using IMAP storage

Rob Hillis rob at hillis.dyndns.org
Thu Oct 18 09:39:24 CDT 2007

Not using IMAP storage here, although that was one of the primary
drivers for upgrading to Asterisk 1.4.  Why?

The short answer is that it's too confining.  There are too many caveats
that don't fit into our existing IMAP structure and make the entire
project rather iffy.  Security is a concern too - we don't want to have
one set of credentials that have absolute access to everyone's email
from the CEO down.  I suspect we /could/ make it work, but the thought
of experimenting on our live IMAP server sends chills down my spine.
(we don't have the budget or time to duplicate our mail server to allow
fiddling on a non-production system)

The idea is brilliant.  The weird dependency on having a
compiled-but-not-installed UW-IMAP isn't - I would have thought that
using a library such as libvmime would have made more sense.