[asterisk-users] Asterisk using 200% CPU and then crashing...

Carlos Chavez cursor at telecomabmex.com
Wed Oct 17 11:09:23 CDT 2007

	We have a customer that has Asterisk 1.4.12.1, Zaptel 1.4.5.1,
Asterisk-Addons 1.4.3. running on a Dell Poweredge 1900 server (Dual
Core Xeon, 4gb RAM, 500gb Raid 5).  Until a month ago they had two
TE120P cards and everything was working fine.  Since they needed to add
a third E1 line we decided to change one of the TE120P cards with a
TE210P.  After the change we had a couple of crashes (server completely
locks up).  At first we thought we had a defective card so we changed it
but kept having the same problem.  We have tried a TE411P, a Sangoma
A104x (PCI express), an Openvox D210P and D410P and still the server
crashes about three times a week.  I can see the Asterisk process go
from around 10% usage to 100%, then 200% and the server hangs after
that.

	Why would inserting a multiport card affect Asterisk and the server?
How can I debug this situation?  I do not have enough slots to insert
three single cards of the same type so I need the multiport card to
work.  When Asterisk goes above 100% it will start ignoring commands you
issue on the CLI but calls keep coming and going.  At this moment I have
to watch the server all day and if it goes above 100% I restart Asterisk
when we have a low call volume.  Obviously I cannot keep doing this
forever.

	Could this be a problem with the Server?  Maybe a Kernel problem?  So
far all I have been willing to do is put "acpi=off" as a parameter on
the kernel because I read that sometimes ACPI causes problems.  Same
problem still.  I have not been able to determine a pattern to when
Asterisk will start using more CPU, sometimes it will go four days of
heavy use without a problem and then start acting up on a Saturday with
very few users.  Any ideas will be appreciated.

Carlos Chávez Prats
Director de Tecnología
+52-55-91169161 ext 2001